Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Meeting the Family

First of all, I am a little overwhelmed about blogging only because there is so much to say. We took a thousand pictures while we were in Fiji so I will probably be doing a lot of slideshows for those that are interested and then posts hitting the main things that we did. There were just so many 'main' things.

Anyway, since it was the first time for Ife to bring me, Saki, and Kaveni home, we were dressed in the traditional Fijian clothing. Can I just say that this was after traveling for over 28 hours. CRAZY, I know! We were all pretty nasty from the humidity and sweating, but hey, who's complaining!
Here is Saki not knowing what to think. He was wearing the lei that Ife got when he finished his mission. They just freshened it up with some real flowers. I thought that was cool. He is also wearing a tabua (whale's tooth) around his neck. These are a sign of wealth and are given on very special occasions. Notice his little rosy cheeks from the heat.
Here is Saki with two of his cousins. They all had the best times together while we were there. In the middle is Bale Celeste Tabakece...named after me of course :), and then Elenoa Lagilagi. She had been in Fiji for a few months and we brought her back with us to Ife's sister-(her mom) who lives in Utah. Notice their freshly made skirts.Here is Saki with Ife's mom. She is the sweetest cutest thing you have ever seen.Here's a better picture of the clothing. LOVE IT!

There will be more to come shortly... I know you are all dying to see pictures :)

16 comments:

Karla said...

Your back!!! I can't wait to see all your slideshows... and hear all the details. Nice Tabua on Saki...woah that's a big one. :) Thanks for the tidbit on the baby powder... never heard of that, I will for sure be trying it. :) Welcome home. ;)

Unknown said...

You guys look great all dressed up! I bet it was so cool to be in another part of the world and experience another culture! Saki looks a little overwhelmed with all that stuff on. I bet you guys had so much fun! Glad you are back.

*Sheigh* said...

YAY YOUR BACK!!!! I cant wait to see you! I hope you had a blast there! I love the traditional clothing!! Soo beautiful!!! Saki looks soo adorable!

Unknown said...

Welcome home!! I am way excited to hear and see all about it. I realize the heat was a big thing....is there a better time of year to go so that I can avoid the choking humidity??? Thanks for the snacks. They were fun and great...at least what I was able to steal away from Abete and Belle.

Also, I changed the comment moderation thing on my blog. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you are logged in. :)

The Varo's said...

I'm so glad to see some pictures! I've been thinking about it since Kali talked to Ife. I can't wait to hear about you're adventures in Fiji!

Annie said...

I am so jealous! I'm glad you had a great time, I can't wait to hear more. :)

Tora Family said...

I'm looking forward to the pictures and and to hear more about your trip...especially since this is your first time! :)

Walters Family said...

I guess those can hold me over til you post more. So far im in love!

RazakFamily said...

Welcome back...super cute pictures...can't wait to see more!
We are totally jealous...

Krystal said...

What a neat opportunity!! Can't wait to see and hear more about your trip :) I bet it's facinating to see the differences in culture.

Brittany said...

SO EXCITING!!! this reminds me of our trip... i hope u had so much fun!! make sure u write everything down so u remember!

Hope said...

MORE MORE MORE!!!! Thanks for finally posting!

VicandNanc said...

What a NEAT experience!! I don't know why, but I imagined everyone in Figi living in huts with dirt floors! haha! I guess these pictures put a modern light on it for me!

peck said...

Darling! You better get busy and give us more of what we want! No more laid back Polynesian laziness (j/k), I WANT MORE!

Jenn said...

Glad you made it back safe and sound and it sounds like you had a great time! We'll have to get together and play some games and let the boys play sometime.

Shae said...

that is so awesome! i can only imagine how it was for you guys! i will be looking forward to seeing slide shows and such! welcome back!