I was able to go to the general Relief Society Broadcast last night and it was really good. Elder Uchtdorf's talk really spoke to me and reminded me of someone who truly had a loving heart. He was talking about how being genuine and giving honest and sincere compliments could change someones life. I had an experience with this that I wanted to share.
When I was in my second year of college at BYU-Idaho, most of you know that my mother was diagnosed with cancer and I was having a difficult time. I was taking a chemistry class and had a study group from my class. We met a couple times a week to study and do homework. These girls in my study group were friends, but not any that I went out with or hung out with on a regular basis...they were mostly just study partners. Anyway, one in particular really touched my life when I went through the most difficult time in my life and lost my mom.
This person was in most of my classes since we were in the same major, and she had just recently gotten engaged. I was happy for her, but still set back and reserved because of the difficult time I was going through. After my mothers passing, I received a plate of cookies from her and her fiance...who I didn't really even know. He had written the most touching note and they had both signed it. Now, I had a lot of nice things done for me, but this note in particular changed my life. I realized how truly loving and kind this couple was. They had said some things that nobody else dared to say or share. They were so sincere and were really understanding and thoughtful. Two people that I hardly knew had comforted me and given me encouragement to keep going. I find it interesting that it isn't always the people you expect to uplift you. These people probably never even knew the impact that they had on my life, but I really do believe that all it takes to change someones life is to have a sincere heart. I am grateful for the people that do small and simple things to cheer other people up.
12 years ago













5 comments:
I love this post...just a little reminder for me to try harder in my everyday life and pay alittle more attention to what is around me and help others more than I have been. Thanks Celeste, hope you are feeling good! Only 78 more days!
im so sad i missed the broadcast... Just so you know, YOU are a perfect example of one of those kind and loving people that you talked about in your post. When ever I am around you I feel like I am worh a million bucks! You are always giving me the nicest compliments and make me feel loved and part of the family. I know your mom is so proud of the mother/woman you are. Its so fun getting to know your mom better and better through each of you. LOVE YOU! Come visit! I need saki!
Beth is right, Celeste. You are so sweet, too. You really make a difference in people's lives, and just like those people probably didn't know they changed you, you won't ever really know how you've changed others. I miss mom, too. I love you so much!
That is so nice! I too loved President Uchtdorf's talk at the meeting. it was very uplifting & it too was what I needed!
Celeste, that story sounds so familiar ... I hope you know you what a special person you are. Even though we may not have been super close, there is just something about you from when we were in Rexburg together that is just different from most other people; I think it was pin-pointed perfect in Elder Uchtdorf's talk about having a loving heart. What a sweet post that brought tears to my (and Mason's) eyes. Thanks :)
Post a Comment