Thursday, June 12, 2008

Potty Training...What?

I recently read a blog where my friends SON was completely potty trained with no serious accidents by age 2. Saki is 18 months and I have started wondering when I should start this fun little task. I know it can take FOREVER if started too early, but after reading this blog, I wondered if I am already behind. I have heard tons of different ages to start, but Saki just seems so little to me still. He's only 20 lbs., and I don't even know if he has any idea what a "potty" is. I have also heard that girls are usually easier to potty train than boys. Do any of you mommies out there have any ideas?

11 comments:

Camille said...

Celeste,

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject, but what I do know, is that I'm not patient enough to follow Quincy around, asking him if he needs to go potty every five minutes! I decided that I'm not even going to try, really, until he asks me. I have offered to let him sit on his little potty a couple times, but he's not that interested. I just let him do it whenever he thinks of it on his own. I have wondered sometimes if he might be four by the time he's ready! I wish it was sooner, but I'm afraid I'll just be potty training MYSELF if I try to push him into it! By the way, my sister's friend has a baby that is 9 months old, and she's been potty trained for months! CRAZY! She just grunts when she needs to go, and they hold her over the toilet! Isn't that hilarious?!

Michelle Hepworth said...

I am no specialist but potty training kicked my butt. I waited till "he was ready" and he never was. So I started it on my oun. Right before I had Hatti we hit it hard cause I didn't want 2 kids in diapers. But he wasn't ready. Then after I had her we hit it hard again. It was very stressful and didn't clash well with my postpardom stuff! I knew once he went he would totally catch on. So one day I let him go naked and when I knew he had to go I ran him to the potty. He held it all day long. Finally at 8 at night my husband took him. and he went. Once he did that we had a lot of accidents but I always had him in underwear so he knew what he was doing and when he was going to do it. When he first peed his pants he said "ooops mom, I spilt!" So it does come - just be patient! Don't be like me, I wasn't very patient with the poor kid!
Hey I need you email address and phone number. Will you email it to me at hepworth8000@yahoo.com I would appreciate it! Michelle

Carters said...

This is always such a fun time. I know every kids is different, Dillon wasn't potty trained until he was almost 3. I finally gave up and just put underwear on him and the first accident he decided he didn't like it and was ready to try. We waited until he was ready, he would always go and hide in a corner or by the potty to go in his diaper. But good luck, you are not behind though, everyone is different!

Michelle said...

Hey Celeste! It's good to hear from you! I have no advice on potty training, even with all my kids, I still have no idea how to do it. I just saw you commented on my blog, so I wanted to say "Hi". You have some really cute pictures on here, and such a beautiful family! Have a good day, Michelle

Tora Family said...

Hi Celeste, we don't know each other, but our husbands do. I'm no expert on this either, but I have heard boys can be a little harder. Sometimes kids aren't PHYSICALLY able to potty train that early...every kid is different. Here are some helpful links:

TOILET TRAINING READINESS
http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/toilet-training-readiness-checklist-2-years

TOILET TRAINING BOYS
http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/0_toilet-training-boys_65082.pc

He is still really little...there is no rush.

Sarah Smith said...

What till he shows interest because if you start early they don't want to do it for even longer. Good Luck when you do start. But I'd wait till he is showing some kind of interest.

Jenn said...

I think this is a hard one, but I'm glad you asked about it, I'm going to check out those sites your friend posted. I thought Austin was ready right before he turned 2 because he was constantly taking off his diaper, so I put him on the potty and he'll go every time. But, because I wasn't the one home with him all the time, it wasn't consistent and a couple of weeks later he stopped, so now I've decided to wait until after the baby comes and we'll try again. We'll see. Saki is not behind, trust me. My nephew was almost 4 before he was, that is behind!

Kate Call said...

FRIEND!! lets be friends again.. its been way too long! u.. me... laura.. lunch in a couple of weeks when i come through p-town!! no excuses.. i must see you! i'm so glad i can keep up with you through blogg'n.. now we just got to be laura on the band wagon

Jade said...

Hi Celeste!
I just found your blog through looking at katherine Wheelers (Barker). (hope you don't mind...i love to check it now!) I don't have any potty training advice but I just wanted to say Hi and that your little one is so adorable! I hope you are doing wonderful. You have the cutest little family! Take care.
Jade Gomez (Godfrey)

Brittany said...

Hey, this is late cuz we were gone, but your post made me think of how we all worry about whether we're "on track" or doing things the way they're supposed to be done or whatever. I just think we all just do the best we can! My only advice would be that if you feel like it's time, try it, but if you don't then wait. Peli's 2 and 4 months, and I haven't even thought about that yet- BUT I have noticed lately he's starting to recognize when he's peeing in his diaper- so I think that's a signal that maybe soon he'll be ready! just my thought for the day... later!

Brittany said...

PS- I LOVE that pic of Saki at the top of your blog! Awesome!